Share this post
FaceBook  Twitter  

Chapter HistoryArticle from 1921 on the founding of Beta Pi

The founding of the Beta Pi Chapter of Pi Kappa Alpha was commemorated in the January 1921 issue of the Shield and Diamond. Beta Pi was officially chartered on November 30,1920.

In introducing Beta Pi Chapter to all then active chapters, the National Fraternity published a nine-page article detailing the creation and importance of the University of Pennsylvania and a description of Penn as it existed at that time. Beta Pi alumni will note that seating at Franklin Field in 1920 was 30,000 persons as stated in the article. This article predated the construction of a second deck onto Franklin Field that brought it to its current capacity and made Franklin Field the first stadium in the United States to have a double deck.

Also included was a history of Alpha Phi Delta fraternity, the local fraternity that successfully petitioned Pi Kappa Alpha to become a new chapter.

In addition, the article contained photos of various buildings at Penn, a photo of the chartering brotherhood, featuring John F. E. Hippel in the third row, second from left, and a picture of the first chapter house at 220 S. 39th Street. Fortunately, this photo also depicted 3900 Locust Street immediately adjacent to the original chapter house. As only the Old Guard may remember, 3900 Locust Street was the long-time home of Beta Pi before the move to 3916 Spruce Street.

To read and enjoy this most informative article, it can be accessed HERE.

A celebration of the 100th Anniversary of our chapter is presently in the planning stages. Please make plans to join us at a Homecoming celebration in November, 2020.